Thursday, May 19, 2011

Black Bean, Rice and Sweet Corn Salad

I should work for Cooking Light. I just love their recipes. They are so healthy, creative, usually pretty simple and delicious! Jared and I preferred this one with tortilla chips but it was good as a salad too. I personally want to try it in fajitas, tacos etc. to add a little something extra. Get creative and let me know how you use it!

Source

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 cup long-grain rice
  • 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 large limes)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Preparation

Combine 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large, heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, juice, oil, pepper, and garlic in a large bowl. Add rice and beans; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes or until completely cool. Stir in corn and cilantro.

***I have since added this to tacos and fajitas more than once and IT. WAS. DELICIOUS!!!!! I think my favorite was in fish tacos. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment