Monday, August 22, 2011

Pizza Factory Breadsticks


I logged on here today to grab this recipe for dinner tonight and was appalled to find that I had never posted it! This is one of my all time favorite recipes (I am a succor for any bread)! Jared and I were planning our dinner menu for the next couple of weeks last night and he kept suggesting things that went really well with breadsticks. He confessed later that he was trying to plan dinners around the breadsticks so I would make them again. These are very similar to Pizza Factory Breadsticks and are surprisingly easy but time consuming. Whatever event you make these for it will be a HUGE HIT! Trust me!


Thank you Jessi, found these treasures on her wonderful blog, nummies.



yields about 25 but the above picture is half the recipe and it made about 30. My balls of dough (see below) were smaller so that my breadsticks were a little more manageable. If your breadsticks are big this recipe makes 25. If you do smaller breadsticks you will get loads more than 25.


Ingredients:

4.5 cups hot water
3 tablespoon sugar
1.5 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons instant yeast
10.5-12 cups flour

(i've used white flour, wheat flour and half white/half wheat -- they were all delicious)


Glaze:

1 1/2 cube butter, melted

3/4 teaspoon garlic salt

3/4 teaspoon garlic powder

3/4 teaspoon dill weed

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.

Combine (in a Kitchen Aid, Bosch mixer or something like it -- i love my Bosch for this one) water, sugar, salt, yeast, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 3-4 minutes. On greased countertop, break off pieces of dough (a little bigger than a golf ball when rolled into a ball) and roll into thin ropes. If you're using skewers like at Pizza Factory, roll the ropes about 1 1/2 times the length of your skewers. Twist the rope around the skewer. I didn't use skewers. Instead I twisted two ropes together and pinched the ends so they stayed. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise for about 30 minutes, or until the breadsticks double in size. Repeat till all dough is used. (*note: If you use a dark coated cookie sheet the bottoms burn more easily so watch them closely)
While they are baking, combine
glaze ingredients so the flavors will blend. Bake twists at 375 for
about 12 minutes if you're using skewers, and 14 minutes if you are not,
and are using the twisting method. Remove from oven and brush with the
butter glaze. (Don't glaze before you bake, it's not as good.) I
sprinkled fresh parmesan cheese on top, too, and let that melt before I
served them. Or you can add add canned parmesan cheese to the glaze,
which adds even more flavor. Best if served immediately, but amazing at
any time!!!

*note: I have never actually followed the recipe for the glaze. I always make up my own and it has always turned out yummy. Experiment and see what you like.

Some ideas: butter; fresh garlic, minced; onion powder; basil; oregano; salt
*If you don't use salt in the glaze, the dough may need a bit more, according to your taste.
Serve this along side any pizza, pasta or other favorite meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment